They consist of theoretical-clinical courses, practical-clinical apprenticeship, supervisions, and participation in scientific meetings, conference and seminars organized by A.I.Psi., over a period of four years for a total number of 500 hours per year.
The theoretical-clinical courses include the following subjects:
- General psychology
- Developmental psychology
- Psychopathology and clinical diagnostics
- Principles of major psychotherapeutical theories
- Freud and the theory of psychioanalysis
- The history of psychoanalysis
- Psychoanalytic techniques
- Clinical Psychoanalysis
- Psychology and Psychoanalytic psychopathology
- Theory of psychoanalysis according to the thinking of pioneers and major post-Freudian authors such as Abraham, Ferenczi, Anna Freud and Klein
- Major psychoanalytic approach and models: Winnicott, Rosenfeld, Bion, Ego-psychology and Kohut
- Psychoanalysis in the human life-cycle: childhood, adolescence, old age
- Research in psychoanalysis
- Recent progress in the field of psychoanalysis
The practical-clinical apprenticeship is held in public health service clinics for mental diseases.
Supervision. As from the second year course, trainers are expected to treat their first training case by carrying out an analysis under supervision. The treatment shall be carried out over at least four analytic sessions per week. In the third year, with the permission of their supervising analyst and the Training Committee, trainees are expected to start their second training case under the supervision of a different training analyst. Supervisions must be conducted by A.I.Psi. training analysts and are held once a week. Each supervision covers at least two years of analytic work.
Participation in scientific meetings. Candidates are expected to attend the scientific meetings organized once a month by A.I.Psi. and included in the total training number of 500 hours per year, as well as any meeting or congress organized by A.I.Psi., the International Psychoanalytic Association (IPA) or the European Psychoanalytical Federation.